Thinking of donating blood for the first time? We have a couple of tips that will prepare you for your lifesaving appointment.
- Please review our FAQ and Eligibility pages for common deferral issues and questions before donating.
- Bring a photo ID with you to your appointment.
- Eat a meal high in iron before you donate. Stay away from fatty foods before the day before your donation.
- Hydrate well before your appointment. Try to drink an extra 16 ounces of water before you come in.
- Get plenty of rest the night before.
- Wear a shirt with sleeves you can pull over your elbow.
- Bring a book, tablet, music, and headphones to listen to. This is a great time to catch up on some reading, listen to your favorite music or catch up on a movie you have been wanting to see.
- Ask your phlebotomist any question you have before, during, and after your donation.
Click to Schedule Your Appointment
Here are some examples of some excellent food choices that will pump up the iron level in your blood before donating.